As I’m cutting carbs in my diet, it means I need to come up with a variety of new dishes to serve with my meat and fish proteins instead of using lots of carb-dense potatoes, pasta or rice. This delicious warm salad is perfect for serving with roast chicken or lamb for lunch or supper. The tomatoes, herbs and artichokes predominate, not the carbs i.e. the bulghur wheat, and the oil and lemon dressing adds a real zing to the overall flavour. This recipe should be enough for 2, giving 12g of carbohydrate and 215 calories per serving.
- 100g chargrilled artichokes in oil, drained and thinly sliced
- 8 stoned green olives, sliced
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 50g cooked bulghur wheat
- 1 dessertspoon of lemon juice
- 1 dessertspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Cook the bulghur wheat according to the instructions on the pack. It should fully absorb all the water but drain any excess if necessary.
- While the wheat is cooking, chop and prep the remaining ingredients. Place them in a mixing bowl with the lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Stir in the bulghur wheat while it’s still warm and mix thoroughly. The heat from the wheat should gently warm the artichokes and tomatoes too.
- Check for seasoning and serve with roast chicken or lamb.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?