The nutty flavours of bulgur wheat and chickpeas go beautifully with the fresh olive oil and lemon dressing and the tang of the fresh herbs in this delicious Middle Eastern salad. It’s great with roasted and BBQ meats, or as part of a vegetarian feast.
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 1 chicken stock cube or stock-pot
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Juice of 2 lemons, the zest of one
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large bunch of mint, chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, celery tops or lovage, chopped
- Cook the bulgur wheat in a saucepan of 500ml hot chicken stock made with a good quality stock cube or gel stock-pot. Cover with a lid. The wheat should absorb all the stock and cook through in the steam. Allow to cool and fork through so it fluffs up.
- Meanwhile, mix the oil, garlic, lemon and seasoning together in a large bowl and add the chickpeas. Leave to marinate until the bulgur wheat is ready.
- Mix the bulgur, chickpeas, dressing and chopped herbs together. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on Twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen, and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?