Low carb, delicious and made in less than 15 minutes, this is a really lovely fresh-tasting salad to serve as part of a cold table selection or, topped with some tuna, a hard-boiled egg or slices of avocado, it’s a great base for lunch or supper all by itself. The soft texture of the beans balances perfectly with the crunchy texture of the onion and celery and the sharpness of the mustardy dressing – a winning ‘heathy eating’ combination.
- 400g can of white cannellini beans, drained – I use the Napolina brand as the beans tend to be better quality and with fewer broken ones than the budget brands
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stick of celery, plus a little of the celery leaf, finely chopped (chopped fennel is good also)
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander or fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
Dissolve the mustard in the vinegar, whisk in the oil and then carefully combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can eat it straight away or store it in the fridge to eat later, just allow it to come up to room temperature first.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?