Although I don’t live on the coast, I’m lucky enough to be able to buy top quality fresh seafood from the market in Bury St Edmunds from the excellent Mummery Brothers. This lovely Rick Stein lobster salad makes an indulgent starter for two (I made it for Valentine’s Day) or, with a bigger lobster and the addition of chopped avocado to the salad, will stretch to four dinner party guests quite easily. Either way, it’s completely gorgeous and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
You will need…
- A medium sized cooked, fresh lobster
- Dressing: 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of very finely chopped shallots, 2 teaspoons of finely chopped chives and a pinch of Maldon salt
- A bag of baby leaf salad – I use the excellent ‘Steve’s Leaves’ as they aren’t washed in nasty chemicals
- Optional: a ripe avocado. Peel, remove the stone and chop into bite-sized pieces
- Remove the meat from the lobster. Remove and crack the pincers and extract the flesh from every joint. Pull the tail away from the head, cut along the flat belly shell and remove the meat – slice it thinly.
- Arrange the lobster meat onto serving plates, pile on the salad leaves and, if using, mix in the chopped avocado.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a lidded jar. Shake to mix thoroughly and then spoon over the salad.
- Serve immediately. Sooooo yummy!