The marrow harvest has been good this year so when my neighbour brought round yet another whopper, I thought I’d try to think of something new. This idea turned out to be a winner! Goes well with grilled chops, chicken or sausages, although I could quite happily have eaten it on its own.
You will need…
- An ovenproof dish and a frying pan.
- A marrow.
- A couple of medium onions – I used one red and one white, either will do
- A tablespoon of light olive oil or duck fat if you’ve got any handy.
- A medium-sized block of feta cheese, about 50g.
- A clove of garlic, crushed.
- Freshly chopped mint.
- Sea salt and black pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Peel and roughly chop the marrow into large chunks – pyramid shapes look attractive.
- Peel and coarsely slice the onions.
- Heat the oil or duck fat in a frying pan and lightly sautée the onion for about 5 minutes and then add the crushed garlic and marrow for another 3 minutes.
- Season with a little sea salt and black pepper, place in a baking dish and then into the hot oven to roast. It takes about 20 minutes and needs to cook hot and fast so that the marrow is caramelised on the outside but retains its succulence.
- When it’s nice and brown, take it out of the oven and crumble the feta over it. Put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes for the cheese to warm through and melt slightly.
- Take it out of the oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped mint.
- Delicious hot or just warm.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?
Pingback: WEEKLY MENU & SHOPPING LIST – WEEK 38-2013 | Dinner-Pal
Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve remember your stuff previous to
and you are simply extremely great. I actually like what you’ve
got right here, really like what you’re stating and the
way in which you are saying it. You’re making it enjoyable and you continue
to take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you.
This is actually a wonderful web site.