I was given an apricot leavened cake, or Panettone, from the Campania region of Italy for my birthday; it’s a kind of sweet bread made with candied fruits popular at Christmas and New Year. Although it’s delicious on its own, my daughter passed on a recipe she liked from the Table Manners podcasters to make an upmarket bread and butter-style pudding out of it. You can use croissants in this way too. I pimped mine up with a little Gran Marnier in the custard mix and glazed it with apricot jam once it was cooked to make it extra-special but OMG was it fab!
- A panettone c750g – I used an apricot Gentile Leavened Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 450ml milk
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- A grating of nutmeg
- 25g unsalted butter
- 20g apricot jam to glaze
- Optional: 30ml Gran Marnier
- Butter a large baking dish (1.5 to 2 litre capacity). Tear the panettone into rough chunks and fill the baking dish evenly.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, Gran Marnier, nutmeg and vanilla and pour it over the panettone, covering it completely. Leave to stand for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Dot the surface of the panettone with the butter. Place the baking dish in a roasting tin and pour in about 3cm of just boiled water. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and the custard just set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and brush with apricot glaze.
- Serve with pouring cream.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on Twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen, and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?
- Book your one to one cookery coaching session here!
From: Pigeon Cottage Kitchen
Reply to: Pigeon Cottage Kitchen
Date: Friday, 14 January 2022 at 10:29
To: Zena Everett
Subject: [New post] Panettone custard pudding
Janet Davies @pigeoncottage posted: ” I was given an apricot leavened cake, or Panettone, from the Campania region of Italy for my birthday; it’s a kind of sweet bread made with candied fruits popular at Christmas and New Year. Although it’s delicious on its own, my daughter passed on a reci”