I usually serve apricot chutney with my carved cold ham at Christmas but I didn’t have time this year. So, I made this sweet and sour fresh salad/relish with sweet oranges, black olives and red onion with a sweet and salty dressing instead. It was delicious and would work equally well with a Middle Eastern inspired menu as well!
You will need…
- 8 oranges
- 1 small pot of pitted black olives, chopped into quarters
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- The seeds of a small pomegranate
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dessert spoon of sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander
- To prepare the oranges, cut a slice across the top and the bottom and then slice away the peel from the sides. When you’ve removed the peel and pith from the outside cut in half and then each half into 4 pieces. Chop each slice into small pieces. Use a chopping board with a rim so you can save all the juices as well as the chopped orange segments – place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the finely chopped onion, pomegranate seeds, olives and coriander.
- Mix up the dressing – lemon juice, salt, oil and pomegranate molasses. Stir into the salad mixture. Check for seasoning, add a little more salt or molasses to taste.
- Turn it into a serving bowl. It’s best slightly chilled.
To buy a copy of my recipe book “Whats4teaMum?” Favourite recipes from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen – click here.