When fresh apricots are in season, the pairing of almonds and chocolate in this delicious sponge dessert is simply perfect. Serve with creme fraÎche or vanilla ice cream on the side and/or a compote of fresh apricots baked in the oven with a little vanilla paste in syrup. Summer heaven!
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g ground almonds
- 75g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 7 or 8 fresh apricots, halved and stoned
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 3 tbsp apricot jam, sieved
- 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 23cm loose-bottom cake tin.
- Beat the butter and muscovado sugar together until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour, baking powder, ground almonds, cocoa and chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin. Level with the back of a spoon or a palette knife.
- Arrange the apricots halves on top, cut-side up. Press them down lightly so that they are pushed slightly into the batter. Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar and bake for about an 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin.
- Remove carefully from the tin onto a serving plate. Warm the apricot glaze in a small pan with a splash of water and brush over the top of the cake. Scatter with flaked almonds.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on Twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen, and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?