This fresh green salad with its herb and mustard dressing looks and tastes wonderful. It’s very easy to make and it’s substantial enough as a lunch dish for two, or as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish.
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon or chives
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- small bunch of asparagus, trimmed and sliced into two pieces
- 3 tbsp frozen ‘petits pois’ peas
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp brown lentils
- Add the herbs, shallot, lemon juice, zest, olive oil and mustard to a small lidded jar and shake thoroughly to create the salad dressing.
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions on the packet – usually brought up to boiling point and then simmered for 10 minutes – drain thoroughly and allow to cool.
- Steam cook the asparagus for a few minutes, add the frozen peas and steam for another couple of minutes. They need to be barely cooked through to retain the fresh flavour and texture. Refresh them in cold water, drain thoroughly.
- Mix the cold asparagus, peas, cucumber and lentils together in a serving dish with the mustard and herb dressing. Serve immediately.
To buy a copy of my book “Whats4teaMum?” Favourite recipes from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen on amazon for just £6.99 click here.