This is a really tasty, quick and easy to make white fish dish based on a vintage Madhur Jaffrey recipe. I make it with cod but any white fish will be perfect; we like it served with fluffy basmati rice with peas. This recipe serves four people, takes 10 minutes to prep and cooks in about 30 minutes.
You will need…
- 1 900g cod loin or 4 cod steaks
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon of whole mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin seeds
- 200g onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Butter a shallow oven-proof baking dish.
- Rub the fish with half the salt and cayenne pepper and all of the turmeric.
- Make the sauce by adding 4 tablespoons of oil to your pan and when it’s hot, add the fennel and mustard seeds.
- When they start to pop, add the onions and garlic and sauté gently until they brown slightly.
- Add the ground cumin, remaining salt and cayenne.
- Add the tomatoes and garam masala, bring to the boil, turn it down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place the fish in the baking dish, pour over the tomato sauce and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve on warmed plates with mounds of fluffy rice with peas.