So, you’ve heard of tiramisu right? The delicious classic Italian dessert made with coffee, brandy and rum soaked sponge fingers topped with creamy mascarpone. Well, this is the same trifle-style dessert but my version is made with Kahlua coffee liqueur instead. Totally yummy and always a party favourite, I made it for the lovely Jane Jefferies for her 70th birthday party. Many happy returns!
- 8 tbs good quality instant coffee made up with 250ml hot water
- 200ml Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 250g trifle sponge fingers
- 2 free range eggs
- 500g mascarpone
- 75g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- Optional: grated dark chocolate and star shapes to decorate
- Mix the coffee and the Kahlua together.
- Lay the biscuits out in a flat tray and soak them in the coffee mixture.
- Separate the eggs. Mix the egg yolks into the mascarpone with the icing sugar. Beat the egg white until they form soft peaks and then fold them into the mascarpone.
- Using an oval ceramic dish (35 x 24cm), make a layer of the soaked biscuits. Cover with a thick layer of mascarpone. Shake over some cocoa powder, then repeat with another layer of biscuits and mascarpone. Shake over the remaining cocoa powder and chocolate if using and chill, preferably overnight but for at least 4 hours before serving.
Share, follow, like, enjoy!
- To get the latest #TheFridayRecipe from the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen blog, just add your email address to the subscribe box at the top right-hand column of the website.
- Follow me on twitter @pigeoncottage, on Instagram at Pigeon Cottage Kitchen and the Pigeon Cottage Kitchen page on Facebook.
- Click on the link to get your very own copy of my family recipe book, Whats4teaMum?