When there’s just two of you and you want a delicious, easy, relatively fast and low maintenance supper, this is the perfect choice: oven roasted potatoes, shallots and pork chops in goose fat. It takes about an hour, uses just one roasting dish and requires very little prep or attention. Now, despite what you might think, roasting in goose fat is not only very tasty but also much better for you than using vegetable oil as it’s high in ‘heart healthy’ monounsaturated fats which can lower blood cholesterol level. You can find out more about the benefits of goose fat here and the perils of cooking with fats like sunflower oil in this BBC report by Dr Michael Moseley here. Try it, it’ll be your ‘go to’ mid-week supper of choice before you know it.
You will need…
- A large rectangular baking dish – like one you might use for lasagne.
- 2 thick pork chops – it’s very important that you use thick ones so that they don’t dry out, I buy mine from my local butcher, Hubbards. Take them of of the fridge to get up to room temperature before cooking.
- 1 tablespoon of goose fat.
- 2 large banana shallots
- 2 medium sized potatoes, washed and dried.
- Green veg to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Add the goose fat to the baking dish and put it in the warming oven, it won’t take long to melt.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and pop the whole potatoes in the microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove and cut each one into quarters.
- Trim the banana shallot so that there’s no skin but leave the end intact so it will stay whole.
- The goose fat should be melted by now so add the potatoes and shallots to the dish and coat them in the fat; arrange them around the edge of the dish.
- Season the chops on both sides with sea salt and black pepper and lay them in the dish.
- Roast for an hour, you can check them halfway and turn the chops and potatoes so that they roast evenly.
- At the end of an hour you should have a perfect roast dinner all ready to serve. Moist and flavoursome pork chops, crisp potatoes and caramelised shallot – heaven!
- Serve with your favourite green veg.